Jan 20, 2010

Back in the saddle. Where the hell are the reins ?

Some apologizing on my end, I'm sure, is due. That's not uncommon.

Thank you Bag for your run defying cars. Without it I might be driving.

Thank you Peter for breathing life into something I thought might die. Me. I'll be your cadaver any day.

I've thought a lot about what this post should say. There are a lot of comical stories to tell since I last posted. I'll get to those.

I almost quit. It was close. People talk about those moments when their world takes a turn for the worst. Or when life is tumbling out of control. Maybe that's what happened. Here's what I know took place...

My place of employment shutdown. Consequently supplying me large quantities of things I don't need: oars, stress, lures, unemployed friends, thermoses, free time, bottles of alcohol (a large variety), questions from my peers, wife and parental guidance figures, life savers, guilt, and a general disposition of gloom and doom. It was unpleasant.

My wife was absent. She didn't leave me. She was just asleep. She had gotten really sick and was on a lot of prescription meds. They drained her of all her energy to the point where she would come home from work and sleep for four hours wake up for two and then go to bed. Needless to say she needed support and I gave her all I had. Probably not as much as she deserves.

I decided to look left and drive straight...into another car. I don't know why. I tried to just accept it and move on, but human nature will not let you do such a thing. At least mine will not. I have to think what if...I had a couple beers after work, at work where it was free at the time and left an hour and half later...or I had gone up to Meijer on the E. Beltline instead of planning to go to the one close to home....or I had left work early...or I had called my friend back who wanted to hang out...or I had taken the truck back to the rental store instead of letting my boss do it...it's painstakingly tedious. So much so you don't sleep.

The insurance people misunderstood me. More or less. I said I didn't have any information for the other driver I hit. They thought I meant we didn't exchange any information. So we filed a claim as a hit and run (I didn't really take time to clarify). Then the other driver filed a claim with her insurance gave my name and number. My insurance company was...displeased...

I started a job at a new store. Still Famous Dave's, just a different location. New building, new people, new problems, new stress. For example the floors, silly I know, but just wait. I'm accustomed to level, diamond pattern non-slip, plain gray tiles. Nothing too special. The new floor, is still gray but its un-even, thick rubber plastic material, with no non-slip texture in fact it's smooth, loose at the drains, and retains dirty water in places water shouldn't be. Every step I take I feel dirty especially when water shoots up from under the floor after I take a step.

I did set my own personal distance record during all this. I ran a street race, The Resolution Run. I haven't followed the schedule as ardently as I was before, but I think that has been good for me because my shins were "tore up."

I mean let's be serious with one another how much am I suppose to be able to handle. In truth I almost gave up on it all. I wasn't running regularly. I wasn't eating well. All I wanted to do was sleep and I couldn't. Then things started to get better. I've started to get more comfortable in the new store and I finally got my car back with the help of my insurance.

Now these stressors are beginning to subside or at least dull in the passing of time. Surely, new ones will crop up. I only hope they consist of things like maintaining my blog and running regimen.

This wasn't meant to be an explanatory apology. For those of you who actually missed the posts, I am sorry and rest assured there are some good ones ahead.

2 comments:

  1. These shaky grounds upon which you have stood for the last month or so will serve only to strengthen your legs and your heart, so that when your ground is again a firm, reliable and stable surface, you will fly faster, farther and more true than you may have previously imagined to be possible. This however, is no surprise to me as I have witnessed this and even greater examples of steadfastness and courage in you before and I will stand my ground against anyone who denies that this, once again, will be a shining moment of Dan-Eizenga persistence and triumph. Good luck, brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey...i'm obviously a little behind the times with this blog. i just got internet and a functioning computer...so i'll try to keep up better. also, i'll try to get a hold of you soon. i miss you.

    ReplyDelete